GPX, the GPS Exchange Format, is supported by hundreds of software applications and Web sites, making it the standard format for interchanging GPS data between GPS receivers, desktop and mobile software, and Web-based services.
Windows GPX Software
- Google Earth 3D viewer
- MapSource – transfer Garmin maps to your GPS
- World Wind – NASA satellite imagery
- Safe FME – spatial data translation and transformation
- OziExplorer – mapping software and Australian maps
- Global Mapper – GIS data viewer
- Fugawi – nautical, military, and land
- GPSMapEdit – create vector maps for Garmin GPS receivers
- RoboGEO – georeference photos
- ExpertGPS – GPS mapping software with topo maps, aerial photos, and scanned map support
- EasyGPS – Free GPS Software for Garmin, Magellan, and Lowrance GPS receivers
- MapSend Lite – Software for Magellan GPS
- Chief Architect – Home design software
- GPS Utility – For managing, manipulating and mapping GPS data
- Map2PDF – distribute georeferenced PDF files
- TopoFusion – combine your tracklogs into trail networks
- GARtrip – Garmin and Magellan data transfer and mapping
- GSAK – Geocaching Swiss Army Knife for OziExplorer
- Memory-Map – navigation software for hand help maps
- TUMONZ – The ultimate map of New Zealand
- GeoBuddy – Geocaching software with built-in topo maps and aerial photos
- Mapwel – create vector maps for Garmin receivers
- GeePeeEx Editor – Garmin POI creation and editing
- GPX2SHP – Convert GPX to ESRI shapefile
- OKmap – GPS mapping software in Italian
- eMapZone – prepare a trip on a scanned map
- GeoShow3D – cartographic 3D solutions
- Mappamondo GPX Converter – Convert GIS data to GPX
- Grazer writes Geo-Data from a GPX-file into the exif header of your digital pictures
- MAPKon – converts GPS file formats – in German
- QuakeMap – view recent earthquake locations
- GeoVisu – moving map
- MapToaster Topo/NZ – Topo maps of New Zealand
Mobile GPX Software
GPX-enabled software for Mobile Phones and PocketPC and Palm PDAs:
- Maverick GPS – GPS off-road navigation app for Android
- Open GPS Tracker – GPS tracking for Android
- GPS Essentials – GPS Navigation for Android
- iGO – PocketPC – GPS Navigation
- J2ME Map – Mobile Phones – GoogleMap/Virtual Earth interface
- GPS Tuner – PocketPC – mapping and geocaching software
- Geocache Navigator – geocaching with a GPS-enabled phone
- BackCountry Navigator – PocketPC – topographic mapping and geocaching software
- Spot – Mobile Phones – GPS on your Blackberry or phone
- nhGPS– SymbianOS – GPS mapping and tracking software
- CetusGPS – PalmOS – navigation software
- GPSDash – PocketPC – GPS dashboard and moving map
- BeeLineGPS – PocketPC – geocaching software
- LocViewer Pro – J2ME – view maps on mobile phone
- CacheMate – PalmOS, PocketPC – geocaching database
- navigami – Free navigation for mobile phones
- GPS-Navigator – Sony Ericsson mobile phones – navigation software
- GPSViewer – PocketPC – topographic mapping and navigation software
- MountainScope – PocketPC – aviation moving map software
Macintosh GPX Software
- GPSNavX – Marine navigation and charting
- MacGPS Pro – mapping software
- TrailRunner– route planning for sports with iPod support
- RouteBuddy – GPS mapping
- HoudahGeo – photo geocoding
- FlightTrack – 3D views of flight tracklogs
Multiple Platform Support
The following GPX software programs run on multiple platforms:
- GPSBabel – Multiple Platforms – Source Code Available – converts many formats
- CompeGPS– Windows/PocketPC/Mobile Phone – map viewer software
- gpsd – UNIX/Linux/MacOS X – redistribute GPS data over TCP
- Quantum GIS –Windows, GNU/Linux – free GIS program
- GPSMan – Multiple Platforms – graphical manager of GPS data
- GPicSync – Windows, Linux – automatically geocode pictures from gps tracklog
- QLandKarte – Linux – Garmin software
- gpsfeed+ – Multiple Platforms – Source Code Available – GPS simulator/NMEA data source
- Paralog – Windows, Mac OS X, Linux – skydiving logbook
- BikeXperience– Multiple Platforms – Java – mountain bike training
Online GPX Applications
Online applications that support GPX:
- TrackRoad – Route optimizer
- GPX Spinner – Online Tool for Geocaching
- World-Tracker – Online/PocketPC – mobile phone tracking
- XML Google Maps for WordPress – Insert Google Maps into WordPress blogs
Web sites with GPX data
Data in GPX form is available at the following Web sites:
- 2 Million Waypoints and POIs for Download to your GPS
- Austin Greenbelt MTB Trails
- Backpacker Magazine
- BBBike – German route-planner for cyclists in Berlin
- UK Benchmark Database
- Free adventure maps
- Crankfire – Connecticut Mountain Biking
- DiveSpots – SCUBA diving locations
- Die Wegpunkt-Datenbank
- Gemini MTB – Italian mountain biking on Elba
- Geograph – photos of every UK grid square
- GIScover – Italian GPS tours
- GPS Games
- GPS Mountain Bike Trail Guide – Northern California
- GPS Tour.info – mountain biking in Germany and surroundings
- GPS Trail Maps – Trails in the Western US
- GPXchange – create, share and print GPX files
- GPX Aviation Waypoint Generator
- GPS-Tracks – European GPS tour guide
- Les Randoactifs – French mountain biking trails
- Magnalox – Share and exchange magnificent tracklogs
- MapMyRun.com – map your training runs
- MotionBased.com – map your training runs
- PCWize GPX Generator
- Tampa, FL diving
- Tennessee waypoints from Tom Dunigan
- TraceGPS – French GPS data
- Trailace – GPS tracklogs
- TrailCentral – Mountain Bike maps of Colorado
- Trail Repository – Canada trails
- TrainingPeaks.com – virtual coaching for endurance athletes
- Team TopoGrafix – Massachusetts mountain biking trails
- Travel By GPS
GPX / Google Maps Mashups
The following Web sites allow you to plot your GPX data on a Web map:
- GPS – GPX Interactive Map (View GPX files on Google Maps)
- GPX Loader for Google Maps (View GPX files on Google Maps)
- GPS Planner (for routes)
- GPS Visualizer (Convert GPX to SVG maps and elevation profiles)
- GMapToGPX (View GPX files on Google Maps)
- Innersource (View GPX files on Google Maps)
- Marengo GPS Route Planner (View GPX files on Google Maps)
- Online GPX Viewer (View GPX files on Google Maps)
- SnowRanger (ski resort maps)
- Track Viewer (View GPX files on Google Maps)
- uTrack (online GPX track report generator)
Mapping software and tools
- AutoStitch – http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitc …Autostitch™ is the world’s first fully automatic 2D image stitcher. Capable of stitching full view panoramas without any user input whatsoever.
- Esri – The GIS Software Leader – http://www.esri.com/Geography Matters—it connects our many cultures and societies and influences our way of life. GIS leverages geographic insight to ensure better communication and collaboration.
- Exifer for Windows – http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/Exifer is a nearly free software with which you can manage the metadata (EXIF/IPTC) of pictures taken by digital cameras.
- Geocaching software Groundspeak – http://www.geocaching.com/software/
- Georeferencer – Online Georeferencing Tool For Scanned Maps – http://www.georeferencer.org/Georeferencer (early beta version) Online Georeferencing Tool For Scanned Maps
- GeoSpatial Experts – Link Digital Camera Photos to GPS – http://www.geospatialexperts.com/Use GPS-Photo Link to Link Digital Photos to your GPS. Use any digital camera!
- Geotag – http://geotag.sourceforge.net/?q=node/1Geotag is an open source program that allows you match date/time information from photos with location information from a GPS unit or from a map]
- Google Earth – http://earth.google.com/Google Earth is a virtual globe, map and geographic information program. It maps the Earth by the superimposition of images obtained from satellite imagery, aerial photography and GIS 3D globe. Google Earth is a free download.
- Google maps – http://www.googlemaps.com Google Maps is a web mapping service application and technology provided by Google, free (for non-commercial use), that powers many map-based services. It offers street maps, a route planner and an urban business locator for numerous countries around the world.
- GPSBabel – convert, upload, download data from GPS and Map programs – http://www.gpsbabel.org/GPSBabel converts waypoints, tracks, and routes between popular GPS receivers and mapping programs. It also has powerful manipulation tools for such data.
- GRASS GIS – The World Leading Free Software GIS – http://grass.itc.it/Geographic Resources Analysis Support System Commonly referred to as GRASS, this is a Geographic Information System (GIS) used for geospatial data management and analysis, image processing, graphics/maps production, spatial modeling, and visualization.
- GVSIG – Área de Software Libre de IVER Tecnologías – http://www.gvsig.com/
- Heurist – a Collaborative KnowledgeSpace For Humanities Scholars – http://heuristscholar.org/A collaborative academic bookmarking, bibliographic and general database with rich data types, annotation, record interlinking and publication capabilities, including bibliography output. Academic social bookmarking with tagging, rating and workgroup functions.
- IIPImage – Open Source imaging server system – http://iipimage.sourceforge.net/IPImage is an advanced high-performance feature-rich imaging server system for web-based streamed viewing and zooming of ultra high-resolution images. It is designed to be fast and bandwidth-efficient with low processor and memory requirements. Source images can be in either TIFF or JPEG2000 format.
- Manifold System – The ultimate GIS and Mapping Product! – http://www.manifold.net/Manifold® delivers a powerful and modern Geographic Information System (GIS) package as an integrated application. It uses modern software technology and Microsoft standard and is relatively inexpensive.
- MapAnalyst – accuracy analysis program – http://mapanalyst.cartography.ch/MapAnalyst is a program for the accuracy analysis of old maps. Its main purpose is to compute distortion grids and other types of visualizations that illustrate the geometrical accuracy and distortion of old maps when georeferenced.
- Maptitude Geographic Information System (GIS) and mapping software for Windows – http://www.caliper.com/maptovu.htmMaptitude Geographic Information System (GIS) software is a useful mapping package for business, government, and education. Maptitude is a powerful combination of software and geographic data that provides a good base to explore the benefits of desktop mapping and spatial analysis with a single, easy-to-use package.
- MapWindow GIS – http://www.mapwindow.org/download.php?show_detail …MapWindow GIS desktop application is a free, open source, standards-based standalone software package that you can use to view and edit GIS data in many file formats.
- Microsoft Pro Photo Tools – http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?F …Tools for editing metadata in photographs including latitude, longitude, and other location details.
- NASA World Wind earth visualisation software – http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/ World Wind lets you zoom from satellite altitude into any place on Earth. Leveraging Landsat satellite imagery and Shuttle Radar Topography Mission data, World Wind lets you experience Earth terrain in visually rich 3D, just as if you were really there.
- NYPL New York Public Library Map Rectifier – http://maps.nypl.org/warper/ The NYPL Map Rectifier is a tool for digitally aligning (“rectifying”) historical maps from the NYPL’s collections to match today’s precise maps. Visitors can browse already rectified maps or assist the NYPL by aligning a map. Play the video above to tour the site and learn how to rectify a map yourself.
- Opencaching http://www.opencaching.com/
- Picasa – free image management software from Google – http://picasa.google.com/Free image management software from Google which allows you to organize, edit, create and share photos.
- MapInfo Professional | Pitney Bowes Business Insight – http://www.pbinsight.com/products/location-intell …MapInfo is a powerful Windows®-based mapping and geographic analysis application designed to easily visualize the relationships between data and geography,
- Quantum GIS Project – http://www.qgis.org/Quantum GIS (QGIS) is a user friendly Open Source Geographic Information System (GIS) licensed under the GNU General Public License. QGIS is an official project of the Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo). It runs on Linux, Unix, Mac OSX, and Windows and supports numerous vector, raster, and database formats and functionalities.
- Robogeo: Geocode Photos and Create Google Maps or Export KML and KMZ Files to Google Earth – http://www.robogeo.com/home/RoboGEO, a software solution for geocoding photos with latitude and longitude information. It provides the same functionality as a GPS camera, but without the bulk, expense, nconvenience, and hassle of wiring the two together.
- Zoomify High-resolution Imaging for the Web! Now in the Macromedia Flash Player! – http://www.zoomify.com/Zoomify Express makes high-quality images fast and easy to view on the web – no special setup is needed.
Links to Australian collections about people
- Atlas of Living Australia
- Austlit: The Australian Literature Resource
- Australian Dictionary of Biography
- Australian Medical Pioneers Index
- Dictionary of Sydney
- Black Loyalists
- Encyclopedia of Australian Science
- Founders and Survivors
- Gallipoli: The First Day
- Invisible Australians
- Mapping Our Anzacs
- People Australia